Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Demise of Lufthansa

As hard to believe as it is, what with all of the crappy service I've endured on United Airlines, Lufthansa just became my least favorite airline.

Ethel and I booked a trip to go to Europe for summer vacation. We booked several months ago so that we could get decent fares. I noticed last month that somehow my last name was spelled wrong on the ticket (it's still not clear to me why American Express allowed Milton Dorkemhoff to use my credit card to pay for the tickets), so I called the ticket office.

I was told that there is normally a $50 fee to change a name, but it would be waived because it was obviously the agent's mistake. Cool beans. Scored points with me too, they admitted their mistake.

We're supposed to be leaving tomorrow, so I went online to print out our eTicket receipt (the beauty of flying paperless) and wouldn't you know it, my name is STILL spelled wrong. So I called Lufthansa again.

This time I was told "there will be a $50 fee to change a name" - I pointed out that I was told that before and was told it would be waived. And also that I had already called to get it changed four weeks ago (which was noted in the record).

After a lengthy pause, a feigned "I'll need to check with my supervisor" the agent came back on and said that the fee would be waived. Cool, ok, you pissed me off by making me wait, but at least this is settled.

Bzzz, wrong answer. It's not settled. The office that needs to reticket me (funny, I thought "eTicket" was electronic) is closed on weekends, so I actually have to go to a Lufthansa ticket counter to get reticked. Ok, fine. Alas, the only one around is actually at San Francisco airport, and they're only open between 10:30am and 2pm.

Yeah, that's primo - I need to drive 100 miles to the airport ($10.00 in gasoline) to fix your mistakes, after giving you a crapload of money for the ticket. Nice.. Tell me again why you're better than any other airline..

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home