Saturday, June 14, 2008

Togo's Disappoints

I've been a fan of the Togo's #9 since sometime in the mid-80s. Sadly, my fandom ended today. I was home at lunchtime, and had a craving, so I walked over to the local Togo's (passing up the recently opened Quiznos and lacking in atmosphere/manners Subway).

There was a sign taped to the door - "we're sorry, for health reasons, we will not be using tomatoes." Two problems here:
  1. Tomatoes add flavor; I learned first hand today that the #9 is not so great without tomatoes. That might be because the sandwich barista overcompensated with lettuce though;
  2. The FDA has said that tomatoes from California are not linked to the Salmonella Saintpaul outbreak
So, if Togo's is no longer serving tomatoes, then that means they are either overly paranoid, or they are getting their tomatoes from outside California. I'm going with the latter, and I can't see paying them to import vegetables when we grow perfectly good (and healthy no less) vegetables right here at home in CA.

Sorry Togo's, you're on my boycott list, along with Canada and Noah's Bagels. We had a good run though.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you checked recently? California IS on the list.

http://www.cdc.gov/Salmonella/saintpaul/map.html

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger Milton Dorkenhoff said...

On the list of states with reported cases, yes. On the list of potential sources for defective tomatoes, no. Hence my conclusion that they get their tomatoes from someplace other than the state of California.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home