Thursday, December 06, 2007

Let's get digital!

I broke down. I'm embarrassed to say it, but I gave in and signed up for digital TV from Comcast (aka "the man"). I think I did it because I wanted the Hallmark channel back, or maybe I did it because I saw an ad for a Tivo HD ($249 at Frys) which I decided I couldn't live without (it's replacing my SnapStream BeyondTV and Hauppauge MediaMVP)

It doesn't matter why, but I did it. After many calls to Comcast, I was happy that I could get a decent plan that had the things I wanted (basic digital cable, with local channels in HD), and, most important, no cable box

The appointment was set for between noon and 4pm on Tuesday; Comcast even called to make sure someone would be home. they called three times in fact. They called on Saturday. Then they called at 11:30am on Tuesday and left a message. I called them back and confirmed. They called again at 1pm. Sheesh, you people worry too much.

CableBoy showed up at 2:30pm and we discussed his mission - install an M- CableCard™ in the Tivo, and an S- CableCard™ in my TV. Seemed straightforward to me, and to the person I scheduled the appointment with who was fluent in CableCard™-speak. But not so with CableBoy.

He had never seen a TivoHD, so he didn't believe that it could operate both digital tuners with a single M- CableCard™. I showed him the Tivo documentation. Nope, not a believer. I told him the "M" meant multi-stream. Nothing still. So he called his colleague - characterized as the Tivo HD "Subject Matter Expert." The SME confirmed what I said, but pointed out that I couldn't get OnDemand nor Pay-Per-View (BFD).

Alas, CableBoy only had S-cards with him (he refered to them as "the green ones"), no M-cards ("the pink ones"). SME pointed out that there were two slots in my Tivo, so two S-cards would work fine. Yes, they would, but, as I pointed out, I'd then be paying for a third card; at $1.79/month, it adds up, so CableBoy got a timeout and sat in his truck until a colleague with "the pink ones" arrived.

Installation started with CableBoy testing the cable that went from my surge protector to the TV/Tivo (through a splitter). He decided, I guess, that he didn't like what he saw, because he installed his own splitter, bypassing my surge protector completely.

The rest of the install was fine, apart from a mistyped ID somewhere that initially prevented the M-card from pairing. CableBoy tested the encrypted channels on the Tivo, they worked fine. I asked him to test the ones on the TV, he said "they won't work." Why, I asked (like a two year old?). He said "because the TV needs a cable box for that." Err, isn't that why we put a CableCard™ in there? He gave in and tuned the TV to channel 702, and magically it worked.

As he was packing up to leave, I asked him about the splitter he had installed. He said it was necessary. I pointed out that it now bypassed my surge protector. He said that wasn't a problem, the cable was grounded outside (didn't inspire confidence). I asked what was wrong with my surge protector. He said "you can't have anything between the cable and our device (the CableCard™).

I was going to point out that a mere 8 feet below him, in the white box on the garage wall was a big freaking amplifier that was effectively sitting between "the cable" and his device, but thought that would make him cry, so I let him off easy - Merry Christmas CableBoy.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Blogger fmbillwatt said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger fmbillwatt said...

Wow... I can't get over the fact that they even showed up! I've had multiple confirmation calls and then no one showed. I called the office which was now closed being 6:00 and got routed to the master office in Sacramento only to find out the guy couldn't make it and they'd be happy to come later in the week.

As bad as Comcast was back East it is much worse out here.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Milton Dorkenhoff said...

Hmmm.. Well, I suppose it's possible that they just like me better than you? Or maybe they know about the complaint I filed with the FCC and are trying to make up for past mistakes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home