Friday, April 20, 2007

Linked In Etiquette

Someone I worked with a few years ago just sent me a Linked In invite the other day. At first, I thought it was some sort of joke. I didn't dislike him in particular; I disliked his entire organization. They were lazy, at times incompetent, and always a pain in the ass to work with. What was he thinking.

But I logged on to my Linked In account, and it was no joke. Right there, waiting in my inbox was his invite - "hey, let's catch up." No, let's not. I don't like you. I don't think I've ever given you any indication in the past two years that I did like you, did I? Have I sent you any email? Have I called? Have I sent you any instant messages? No, I didn't. That should tell you something, no?

But, apart from contacting him directly, there was no way to convey my feelings. My linked in inbox only gave me two choices - I could either accept his invitation, or archive it. There was no button that would have sent back a "what were you thinking" email. Maybe if it came with a payment of some sort - that's a nice mashup - buying colleagues on Linked In using PayPal. Sure, I'll be your friend, for a small fee.

On a pleasant note, I did hook up with a friend from college many years ago while I was on Linked In contemplating this unwarranted invitation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home