Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Martha Martha Martha

Ok, so I'm not the world's greatest Martha Stewart fan. When she went to jail, I added a speed dial to my phone labeled "Martha Stewart" that called my cell phone (if you don't get it, move your mouse here). But today, her approval rating dropped a bunch more.. She's now hovering about where the president is, if you can believe that.

For those who aren't following the news, another Soyuz rocket was sent to the International Space Station yesterday. Great - more supplies for the astronauts (speaking of which, how'd Suni do in the Boston Marathon?) but supplies weren't the only thing on this rocket.

This flight, like a few in the recent past, included a space tourist - Charles Simonyi, billionare, creator of such things as Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
Thanks Charles - our world is a better place now that we have Word and Excel. Personally, I'm a Lotus 1-2-3.

But that's not why I'm writing. I'm writing because of a comment Martha made after the Soyuz launch. She said:
"The launch was beautiful, Charles," Stewart told Simonyi. "I just want to say that we are happy for the safe and beautiful trip and I want you to know that we all think that you are a true pioneer."
So, here's the thing Martha. Charles is not a pioneer. He's a guy with a shitload of money and nothing better to spend $25M on than a trip to space. If Charles spent $25M making the lives of a few people better, then I'd consider him a pioneer.

Or maybe he could have spent the money, uhm, I don't know, buying AIDS medicine for some underdeveloped country that's being ravaged by the disease. Maybe buy food for a few hundred thousand people somewhere in the world?

But no, he spent it on a trip to the space station. Sorry Martha, that sounds more selfish than it does pioneerish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home