Thursday, April 05, 2007

CIT400, Check Swing

While I sit waiting patiently for Linksys to get back to me, I thought I'd play around with my phone some. I noticed the other day that when I called myself (SkypeOut to my cell phone) the callerid my cellphone receives is garbage (0 0 0 0 1 2 3 4 5 6), so, of course, I e-mailed Linksys customer support.

They responded in their typical timely manner - it should work fine, can you describe the scenario that it fails? Sure. The callerid that someone sees when I call is mostly garbage. It fails when I call my cell phone. It also fails when I call my family, and, it fails when I call my office phone. But besides that, I know of no other scenarios when it fails (I've not tried any other scenarios).

In my response, I also pointed them to the Skype forum where others have pointed out that callerid doesn't work so well (the reported callerid is wrong), along with a witty comment along the lines "it must be embarassing to say 'it works fine' only to find out that the rest of the world knows it's never worked properly."

Alas, the technician said "As you can see, the problem is with Skype, not my phone" - no "thank you for providing a link to the Skype forum, my colleagues are inept and didn't know about this" nor "yeah, you caught me, I really have no idea what I'm doing and was just pretending I gave a crap about your problem"..

So, Linksys, class is over. Want to know your final grade? You got an F - that's right, a big fat F. Sorry, I'd have liked to have given you a better grade, but the reality is, you did nothing to warrant anything else. Class participation was a large part of your grade, and, while you participated regularly, your heart never seemed to be in it and you never once had a correct answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home