Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Veni, Vidi, Vindication

The Sears man came back to look at my washing machine this morning. This time I was prepared.

It started much like the last visit - he came to the door, I showed him where the washing machine was. He asked what was wrong, I said it leaked, he played with the dial and went through some of the cycles.

But I was prepared (did I mention that - I'm such the boy scout) Over the weekend, we did a bunch of laundry and I made videos of it leaking! Yup, that's right, I stuck a USB camera inside the machine (not in the tub) and filmed the leak. Many times in fact.

When it didn't leak for "the man" I said "it won't leak until 43 minutes into the cycle; why don't I get the video and show you." And that's exactly what I did - I took out my computer and showed him the leak, starting at 43 minutes, getting worse for the next couple of minutes, and then stopping.

He watched the video, and then said "ahh, the main seal is leaking" (I think he might've said "I don't know how long she'll hold up Captain" with a Scottish accent as well), and proceeded to tighten the various bolts and reseat the dilithium crystals.

Cool beans, I was thinking, maybe it'll be fixed. He said "if it still leaks, call me" just like last week's contestant. But this guy gave me his cell phone number! Holy crap - what service! Before he could finish writing his cell number, the spin cycle started and he got this "oh damn" look on his face - apparently the "washing machine" noise that I've always heard was a bad bearing. Bad bearings put pressure on main seals, cause leaks, etc.

So Sears man will be coming back when the parts arrive, it's apparently a "two man job" - maybe he'll bring the jerk from last week.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 6:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love the idea of the usb camera to capture the innards of the washer.

 
At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somewhat obsessive aren't you?

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Milton Dorkenhoff said...

That's kind of the point, no?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home