Thursday, September 11, 2008

Freedom of Speech == Freedom to Deceive?

I watched and/or listened to large parts of the Republican Convention last week. And I have to say - holy crap. What's with the lies? Seriously.. Take, for example, Mike Huckabee's speech. He said:
And speaking of Gov. Palin, I am so tired of hearing about her lack of experience. I want to tell you folks something. She got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States.
The first thing I thought when I heard this was "Wow, Wasilla must be pretty big." Then I went and looked it up. The population of Wasilla is around 9,000 people. So, assuming no one voted twice or three times, at best, Sarah Palin got 9,000 votes running for mayor. I then looked up the Democratic Primary results. Here in home, sweet home California, Joe Biden got just over 17000 votes.

So what's up Mike, are you a fucking moron and don't know that 17,000 is more than 9,000, or are you lying to us?

Wait, I see.. You're talking about about delegates - right, I see, Joe Biden got no delegates in the primaries. Got it. But those are delegates, they're not votes. For Sarah, you used "votes" as the unit, but for Joe you used "delegates" as the unit. Someone in 5th grade could probably tell you why you can't mix units like this.

Here, let me give you a good example:
During Bill Clinton's administration, there was a budget surplus of $230 billion, but during the Bush Administration, the nation's national debt went up to over $9 trillion.
See what I did? Just like you did - I compared two unlike units in the hopes that people reading it are fucking morons, and enamored enough with me that they don't bother to try to rationalize what I said.

So here's what I think we should do.. You can continue to spout off your bullshit, and we the people will continue to listen to it. But after each speech, let's all go through what you said and you can explain how you arrived at your different conclusions, ok? Maybe, just maybe, when the technology evolves enough, we can actually see it in realtime - as you speak, little pop-up windows show up and point out how what you're saying fits in with reality?

Update: FactCheck.org has the total numbers:
Not even close. The tally: Biden, 79,754, despite withdrawing from the race after the Iowa caucuses. Palin, 909 in her 1999 race, 651 in 1996.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home