Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Nothing is certain, but death

I killed a man yesterday on my way to work. We were having a typical winter storm - it was cold and raining. I pulled up to a traffic light at a four-way intersection and stopped (my light was red). When it turned green, I started to go.

He came from the left, he decided he could make the light, even though it was red long before he had gotten to the intersection. He must have been in a hurry to get somewhere. When he saw me pulling into the intersection, he panicked, hit his brakes and cut his wheel hard to the left to avoid me. He avoided me, but rolled his car a bunch of times. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Seat belts and airbags can only do so much. I guess he's not going to get to wherever he was in such a hurry to go.

That's how it played out in my mind anyway. But it didn't quite happen that way. When my light turned green I started to go, but I saw him coming out of the corner of my eye and knew he wasn't going to stop for his light - it wasn't the right shade of red as my father would say. So I stopped instead and he sailed through the intersection, off to wherever he was in such a hurry to get to.

He lived, that time. But he might not be so lucky next time.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home