Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Told ya' so

Woohoo!! We just had an earthquake!

I know, scary, people might be hurt, property damaged, etc. I remember where I was when we had our last major earthquake. On Oct 17, 1989, I was cruising up 880 just south of the Oakland on my way to a Hooters concert. It was my first major quake; my first thought was "damn, I've got a flat tire," followed shortly by "four flats? I can't afford to replace four tires, what the hell did I run over!" And then lastly "ha, all you people pulling over checking your tires, it was an earthquake, you don't have flat tires."

So what's with the celebration tonight? Well, there's the obvious - apart from one fish down (long story) and the grandfather clock stopping, everything seems fine. That's always worth celebrating.

But more importantly, I've been exchanging email with people in my homeowner association about the benefits of earthquake insurance. A significant number of members, apparently, think earthquake insurance is a waste of money - they consider the idea that you would pay money for insurance that you might never need absurd.

Ha, take that! In the next big one, do I want to have to come up with a $100K deductible, or $500K to rebuild my freaking house? Let me think about it for a minute...

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home