Sunday, September 30, 2007

Business Opportunity for Phishers

Ugh, people, learn the language, ok? You just sent me this:
Notification from Visa U.S.A.

VISA Credit Cards Online, Department Notice

You have received this E-mail because you or someone else had used your Account from different locations. For security purposes, we required to open an investigation on this matter.
In order to safeguard your Account , we require you to change your VISA Password and confirm you Banking Details.

To help speeding up this process , please access the fallowing link so we can complete verification form Online.

To get started, please click the link below:
http://tamco-inc.co.jp/www.visa.com/us/personal/en/cardholderservices/secure/update/index.htm

Please note:

If we do not receive the appropriate Account Verification within 48 hours , we will assume this VISA Credit Card Account is fraudulent and it will be suspended. The purpose of this Verification is to ensure that your VISA has not been fraudulently used and to combat fraud from our Community.
VISA Security Team

Let's start with the basics. The name of the company is Visa, not VISA. You've used both; these inconsistencies jump out. You have Internet access (which you've demonstrated by sending me this email), take advantage of it - if you're going to send things pretending to be from a bank, make sure you spell the bank name correctly.

Moving on to the first sentence in the first paragraph, why is "Account" capitalized? Wait, you're an illiterate moron, I forgot about that - let me rephrase my question. Why is "Account" capitolized? Account is not a proper noun, this email is English, not German. Therefore Account should be lowercase ("account" in case you're unsure).

And what's with the verbs tenses? You start out ok with "
have received" but then degrade quickly with "had used" - they don't go together. Think "has used" or for more flexibility "might have used." Then you continue with "we required to open" - you might as well just say "we be dumb asses," it's just that bad.

Your spelling is another biggie. You must have access to a dictionary, no? Merriam-Webster is free. Run "
fallowing" through it, see what it comes up with. Then look up "following" - see the problem?

What were you thinking when you sent plain text? Send HTML, with no images - real logos and all - they fool everyone. That way you can hide your fraudulent URL with something that looks normal. I speak English (you don't), I read from left to right, so the first thing I saw in the URL you sent me was "
tamco-inc.co.jp" - that's not Visa, it's tamco-inc. They're different - I can tell. I'm not even a rocket scientist and I can tell. Want to bet that most other people who read your note can tell also?

Here's a thought - you want to make money, I want to make money. I'm a capitalist. Sorry, I mean I'm a capitolist. How about if I help you out - you write up your spam, and then send it to me. For a small fee, I'll correct your grammar and anything that will jump out at others. Deal?

Fraudulent eBay sellers, this offer applies to you too. You know who you are - the brand new, never been opened, unlocked iPhone seller. I can help you too. Act now!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home