Saturday, September 01, 2007

Splish Splash iPhone's takin' a bath!

I washed my iPhony the other day. Oopsie! Ultimately, I think the DCCC is to blame. I was happily sorting things - whites in this pile, colors in that pile when they called begging for money. We got into a heated debate about whether they really needed my money any longer, and I somehow forgot to take the phone out of my pocket.

Oh well, easy come, easy go. That's what insurance is for anyway. I called Asurion, and in just two short days, I had a brand new refurbished Sony Ericsson w810i to play with (yes, I was disappointed not to get another SLVR, but the only one they had was pink).

The w810i is pretty neat. It's a bit bigger than my SLVR was. I bought a 4GB memory stick for it - I've now got something like 6 years worth of music on it. Pity the phone doesn't support A2DP (stereo Bluetooth), being tethered sucks (not that the SLVR was any better, mind you).

I put a couple of videos on the phone as well. The Peyton Manning mentor video was my first experiment (a must see!). I found something called "SUPER" to transcode assorted video formats to 3GP. The UI was way up there on the ugly scale (which I probably should have expected given the web site), but it worked. A WMV also transcoded and played (a 2 hour movie was about 120MB)..

Of course, now I'm bummed - I have this old, cheesy refurbished phone, and iPhones are $200 cheaper. Then again, I didn't run out and buy an iPhone only to have the price cut by $200 in just over two months :)

2 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How were you able to tell that the W810i was refurbished? I'm curious because I just got one and I'm suspicious that it's a refurb.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Milton Dorkenhoff said...

The insurance people told me it was. Maybe it wasn't, who knows.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home