Wednesday, October 10, 2007

New Bluetooth Review

My bluetooth headset died yesterday. Ok, well, it didn't quite die, it was more of a series of siezures. It worked for a bit, then stopped, then started, etc. Pity, I liked it. It was a Plantronics Explorer 350. Interesting, it was a model 350, and lasted exactly 35 days. I wonder if that was intentional. Plantronics, any comments?

The replacement is a Jabra BT 5020. It's nice - lightweight, multi-something or other (which lets me pair with two phones at once), and charges via USB - a definite plus, as I use it with my computer more than my cell phone.

I picked it up at Frys. I should have suspected something, their description of it was, uhm, different.
The all new Bluetooth Jabra BT5010 takes advantage of the new Multipoint technology for being able at the same time to communicate with any Bluetooth technology. Equipped with version 2.0 Bluetooth and Vibration it is the ideal for your long communications thanks to the 10 hours of autonomy in conversation. Jabra BT5010 features Slide-Up a microphone to cancellation of noise in order to make so that your calls clear and are cleaned up from the bottom noises.

The user friendly BT5010 has a push-button multifunction that allows to uncouple, to couple, to recall or to transfer one called. The Jabra BT5010 is aimed at business users and is designed to go over the ear, and also features a sliding boom arm.
See the problems? First, the description isn't actually English. I guess we all know where Miss Teen South Carolina is working, huh? And it describes a BT5010 - what's that? I clicked on the BT5020 link, and I read the 5010 description. I wonder - if I clicked on the 5030 link, would I find the 5020 description? I'll have to try that.

When I finally got the package opened (note to manufacturers: your plastic packaging sucks completely - how about something that's a) recyclable and b) openable with something smaller than an oxy-acetelyne torch), I flipped through the enclosed instructions to figure out how to pair it with my computer. Seemed simple enough (from the Jabra site):
3) Pair it with your phone
Before you use your Jabra BT5020, you need to pair it with your mobile phone. The first time you turn on the Jabra BT 5020 it will automatically go into pairing mode. If you would like to pair again at another time, follow the instructions below.
A. Put the headset in pairing mode
• Make sure the headset is off .
• Press and hold the answer/end button until a solid blue light comes on.
B. Set your Bluetooth phone to ‘discover’ the Jabra BT5020
As promised, it paired with my computer when first turned on. But I wanted to pair with my phone too - Jabra said the phone could do it, I wanted to do it - I'm like that.. I got as far as the second part of step "A."

Turning the phone off was easy - a gimme if you will. But no amount of pressing the "answer/end" button would make the solid blue light turn on. The manual says "press and hold" means "hold for more than 3 seconds" - I held it for 15 seconds, nothing happened. Nothing.. Great, back to Frys..

Then I noticed that one of the buttons (button 6 for those keeping score at home) was labeled "On/Off/Pairing." WTF! Why would they name the button "On/Off/Pairing" but want me to press the "Answer/End" button to pair?

They wouldn't. I pressed/held button 6 and magically the blue light came on, and I paired the headset with my phone.

So, to Jabra (and Frys), I extend the same offer I've extended to phishers. I'll proofread your text to insure it's somewhat reasonable. There's nothing more embarrassing than shipping a product with stupid mistakes (is there?).

2 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CD - you saved me a trip to Frys...encountered the same damn stoooooopid issue. Other than the fact that it's a bit of a hassle powering down one phone to switch over to the other when using one BT with two phones, the BT5020 works well enough.

Dan

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Same here...thank you so much for posting that! Its a long trip for me to go back to frys...

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home