Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I blink therefore I am

Ok, it's my fault. I was unclear. I've complained time and time again about people not using their signal lights when changing lanes. So often in fact, that people are starting to listen. Take this man, for example:
As we were approaching a traffic light this morning, he was alongside me. Then he signaled. Good job! But then, he was in my lane. And so was I; even though we weren't time travelling, we couldn't occupy the same physical space, so I had to slam on the brakes to avoid being hit.

Right, so what. I wasn't just braking, I was regenerative braking - one minute I'm making power, the next I'm not moving, and you're sitting in front of me, stopped at the same light. Why? What was so important that you needed to be in front of me? But I digress. This isn't about me, it's about signaling, and my failure to communicate.

So let me try again. Signaling is good, dare I say very good. But there's just a tiny bit more involved in changing lanes. I took the liberty of writing down the steps for those who are unsure:
  1. Turn on your signal light to indicate your desire to change lanes,
  2. Look to see that there are no cars in the lane you're planning on moving into,
  3. Change lanes
I know, I know, three steps, so much to remember. But it's got a cutesy acronym (TLC) which should help you a bit, no?

I think we're starting to master step 1 (see above). And lord knows everyone has step 3 down. But step 2 is even more important.

Sure, I know what you're thinking. You signaled, so anyone who happens to be next to you should know you're coming and get out of your way. But you're assuming they saw your signal light.

What if they didn't? Maybe they're on the phone - I know, what are the odds? I'm afraid the onus is still on you, the lane changer, to make sure there are no lane changee's involved.

For our next lesson, we'll cover the differences between changing lanes when the white line is dotted and when it's solid.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home