Friday, March 09, 2007

Scooter Pie

Guilty!! Justice prevails! WooHoo! I can see it now, somewhere in a cell in the not too distant future, this dialog will be heard:
Hoo ha... I'm gonna git me some o' that Scooter Pie.. Yessiree. Scooter, come on over here and give me some o' that fine pie of yours!
I know, I know Scooter will never see the inside of a jail cell; it just won't happen. I can see a couple of scenarios taking shape:
  1. He'll appeal - remember, they tossed one of the jurors; and even though 11 jurors is perfectly acceptable (here's a thought - maybe we should have "reality TV trials" - see below), it seems like it's just screaming "throw the conviction out on a technicality, the other jurors were afraid that the juror who was tossed off was sent to Guantanimo and they were next"

  2. He'll receive a pardon from President Bush. Funny, this whole Libby thing reminds me of the series finale of The West Wing (that show rocked - I used to watch it and pretend I lived in a country ruled by the Bartlet Administration, ahh, witty banter, eloquent speakers, coherent thoughts); Toby was arrested and convicted for leaking top secret information and then President Bartlet had to decide whether to pardon Toby or not.

    I suppose a key distinction between the President Bartlet pardoning Toby and President Bush pardoning Scooter (apart from the obvious - one is television, one is the real world) is that President Bartlet put thought into whether Toby should be pardoned, whereas with President Bush it will be more like "she-it, he's ma friend, of course I'm gonna pardon he-im," no thought required.
Sigh.. I miss The West Wing...

TV Trial...
Yeah, I like it - a reality show where people are tried on TV. The trial is one night, after which the viewing audience can call or SMS to vote whether the defendent is guilty or not, Kind of like a cross between American Idol and Law & Order - maybe Simon can be and Sam Waterson can be the prosecutor.

It would need a cool name though - how about "Chair or No Chair" maybe?

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home