Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Reality Bites

I should preface this by saying that I'm not the world's biggest reality TV fan. Sure, I watched a bit of Road Rules and Real World "back then" (I stopped when Gladys was kicked off the show; missed the whole Ruthie thing). And I've never really gotten into Survivor, nor Dancing with the Network Stars.

But there was one reality show that I did watch - The Amazing Race. I'm not sure what it was that attacted me to it at first (maybe that it's name was catchy - like "Amazing Grace"). It wasn't much different than the other reality shows, but it was different enough that it was worth watching. Maybe because the "challenges" were not always physical challenges, but were sometimes, dare I say, intellectual?

But that was many years ago (and now it's the disco, but not for Lola?), and, sad though it is to say it, it seems that Amazing Race has gone the way of the rest of the reality shows - not worth watching.

In an effort to appeal to "people other than me," the challenges have been dumbed down - instead of a cryptic/challenging "find the star of hong kong," contestants are asked to "jump off this building" or "eat this food, puke into this bowl, then continue eating."

And the teams themselves - whoa.. A few seasons back, we had Rob and Amber, from Survivor - I guess there's a "reality show circuit" that some people are on? Just going from one show to the next? Interesting career choice. Or Lori and Bolo - who can forget when she said "it's so cold I think my implants froze."

Or, more recently, Rob and Kimberly. She's overly sensitive, with a whiney tendency. He is an aneurysm waiting to happen, all but slapping her around every week. And yet somehow, I know that when the show ends and they show up on the Today Show, he'll propose and she'll accept, and no doubt be divorced in 6 months.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great teams - Edwin and Godwin this season were cool. They're gone though - they were nice, and got screwed for doing so. And season 9's winners, BJ and Tyler, the hippies - they were fun to watch. But two out of hundreds doesn't cut it.

I'm sorry to say Phil, you have been eliminated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home