Monday, February 05, 2007

Survey Results

Well, the results are in. The top ten things that bother Bay Area drivers are..
  1. Improper Merging 19%
  2. Roadboulders: slowpokes in fast lane 17%
  3. Cell phone users 16%
  4. Carpool cheats 12%
  5. tailgaters 9%
  6. No lights on in rain 8%
  7. Speeders 7%
  8. Not using blinkers 4%
  9. Drivers who don't stop on right turns on red 2%
  10. Pedestrians, bicyclists who ignore the law 1%
Roadboulders - I love it. That would be me! Driving in the left lane (is there a difference between the left lane and the fast lane?) and doing the speed limit. I guess I'm a roadboulder because I understand what the word limit means? Merriam-Webster says:
1 a : something that bounds, restrains, or confines b : the utmost extent
It's the law - the law says the speed limit is 65mph, so I drive 65mph. Is that wrong? If I was driving a police car doing 65mph in the left lane, would I still be a roadboulder? No, I thought not.

How about if we compromise - I won't call you an idiot for not knowing what the the word limit means (I'll still think you're an idiot) and you'll stay off my ass when I'm in the left lane doing the speed limit (feel free to gesture at me all you want though - turns out, I don't care). Deal?

2 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger Tom said...

Here is a good link about speed limits in California. I would consider it a common coutesy to move to the right if you are slower than the other traffic in your lane. Your slowness for that lane could contribute to an accident if a lot of cars have to come up to you from behind and then pass you on the right (which is illegal by the way). You can also get a ticket for driving too slow, or even driving the speed limit in bad conditions. A common sense approach to driving on roads is known as the "flow of traffic". If you are slowing down the flow of traffic in your lane it would be wise to move over. You can't change other people's driving habits, but you can make it safer for yourself by driving the speed you are comfortable with, driving under control, and being curteous to other drivers.

 
At 6:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, but if I'm the first car in the lane, then, in fact, am I not part of the "flow of traffic", dare I say "the leader of the pack"?

I'm a born leader; this is just one of the many ways it manifests itself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home