Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Grammar got run over by a reindeer

By now, I'm sure everyone has heard the panda story, but just in case you missed it:
A panda walks into a café. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and proceeds to fire it at the other patrons.

"Why?" asks the confused, surviving waiter amidst the carnage, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

"Well, I'm a panda," he says at the door. "Look it up."

The waiter turns to the relevant entry in the manual and, sure enough, finds an explanation. "Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves."
I thought it was funny anyway.

I tend to overanalyze things, so maybe it's just me, but sometimes I see or hear things that get under my skin.

Take the sign they erected recently to welcome visitors to Campbell. It said "Welcome to City of Campbell" - see the problem? The name of the city is "Campbell," not "City of Campbell."

I know what you're thinking, but it's wrong. It should have said either "Welcome to Campbell" or "Welcome to the City of Campbell." As it stands now, it's just plain wrong. The article is mostly insignificant, but still needed.

Or Travelocity. I booked reservations on their site the other day. The page where I reviewed my reservations included a link labeled "Email a friend." Tell me what that means? Has technology progressed to the point where I can email a friend? Are you sure? Don't you mean "email this itinerary to a friend" or can I really actually email a friend somewhere? Does it cost anything? If it's not too much, maybe I can email myself instead of paying for plane tickets?

A Lunesta commercial I heard the other evening had a great line. It was something like this:
You should not operate heavy equipment including automobiles until you know how Lunesta affects you
Seriously? I can't drive my car until I know how Lunesta affects me? How about if I promise to not take Lunesta, can I then drive my car? Or do I really need to go to a doctor to get a prescription to see how it affects me before I can get in my car again? Does that mean I need to take the bus to the doctor's office?

Yeah, I guess I overanalyze things...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home