Saturday, March 25, 2006

Resistance Is Futile

Well, I give up. I tried, lord I tried to be a good driver, and not give people the finger when they do stupid things, but this week I decided that some people truly deserve it. In partcular, Dirk (not his real name, but it's fitting because it rhymes with "jerk" and is awful close to another d__k word) gets the finger of the week this week.

I was minding my own business, putting along in the slow lane at 65mph, when Dirk came into my life. He was zooming along in his BFT ("big freaking truck"), license place "CLOSETx" (not his actual license plate, but really really close). Dirk realized his exit was coming up, and chose the two to three car lengths between me and the car in front of me to cut over. Alas, it was without a signal light.

Instinct got the better of me, and I gave Dirk the finger. As fate would have it, he was looking in his mirror at the time, and not a happy camper about the gift I bestowed upon him. He started gesturing madly (both hands, neither was on the steering wheel) and then slammed on his brakes (I bet that did nothing for his mileage nor the lifetime of his brakes!).

All in all, I'd say he completely overreacted. Rather than getting so upset, when he received the finger, he should have thought to himself "I just got the finger, I wonder if there was something I did to deserve it" - but then again, perhaps he didn't equate cutting in at the last minute without a signal light as "wrong." Maybe, just maybe, Dirk was one of the respondents to this survey.

Maybe he thought driving was more exciting without a signal light? Then shouldn't I get some credit for giving him the finger and adding just that much more excitement to his ride? Some people are such ingrates!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home