Thursday, March 12, 2009

Network Storage

I've been looking for some sort of network storage device for a while now - something for backing up my computer to, storing music, etc. I came across the Linksys MediaHub this afternoon. I've still not forgiven Linksys for the CIT400 support debacle, but the device looked interesting.

I started reading the documentation - something's not right. Take this blurb that follows the "switching to RAID 1" instructions:
WARNING: Existing data on the Media Hub will
be lost; Linksys strongly recommends that you
back up its data to your computer or an external
hard disk before you continue.
  • When you set the Media Hub to the Increase Protection: RAID 1 mode, the Media Hub will be unavailable for approximately 15 minutes and then automatically reboot.

  • After reboot, the Media Hub will synchronize the data on the two disks.

  • Depending on disk size, disk synchronization may take from several minutes to several hours. Synchronization progress can be viewed from the Disk screen. Rebooting or removing power from the Media Hub during this time is not recommended
So, let me see, if I turn on RAID 1, all of my data gets lost, ok, I'm good with that. But then the device will be rebooted, ok. And then the data will be synchronized across the disks. That would be the data that was wiped out? And then, depending on how big the disks are, synchronizing the non-existent data may take several hours? Interesting, very interesting.

The steps involved in recovering from a disk failure (two disks, in RAID 0) are equally not well thought out:

  1. To shut down the Media Hub, press and hold the power button until the power LED starts flashing. If this step does not shut down the Media Hub, then
  2. proceed to step 2.
  3. Disconnect the power adapter from the Power port.
  4. To release the drive bay cover, push the button on the top panel.
  5. To remove the defective disk, push together the clips of its drive bay, and then pull out the drive bay.
  6. Remove the defective disk from its drive bay.
    NOTE: Do not install a replacement hard disk at this time. The Media Hub must revert to single disk mode before you can install a second hard disk.
  7. Push down on the hard disk to make sure the connectors are securely seated.
Step 6 says to remove the defective disk, and then warns me not to put another disk in yet. But then step 7 tells me to push down on the hard disk to make sure the connectors are securely seated. Would that be the hard disk I just took out, or the one I didn't replace it with? Maybe you mean the remaining disk - do they come loose on their own often?

I think I'll continue my search elsewhere, unless someone at Cisco wants to send me an evaluation unit?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:03 AM, Blogger Igor Jablokov said...

You could just give in, switch everything to Macs, and enjoy a near flawless Time Capsule. ;-)

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Milton Dorkenhoff said...

In theory, that's a great idea, but I'm looking for something that I can tuck away in a corner in my garage. Time Capsule would be a waste, as Apple spent so much time making it look pretty. It should be the center of attention, not collecting dust next to the washing machine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home