Sunday, March 22, 2009

Not-so-targeted Marketing

I've been a Comcast customer for almost five years now, and mostly have no complaints. Sure, there was the ordeal at the end of 2007 when they took away the Hallmark Channel, but I moved past that and have been pretty happy with my digital cable service (you can quote me if you'd like Frank :).

But sometimes, they do the stupidest things. No, I don't mean their commercials - who can fault them for hiring an inept advertising agency. I'm referring to the most recent promotion I received in the mail. It was a special offer for one free On Demand movie. All I needed to do was to fill out the back of the enclosed coupon and send it in with next month's payment.

Sounds easy enough, but there are two problems with it:
  1. We don't send in our payments. We pay electronically - we save Comcast money by doing this (they don't need to print our bill, nor pay for the postage), and at the same time, we're saving the environment (and making the lives of our local postal workers a bit easier). No payment to send in, no way to return the coupon.

  2. We don't have a cable box, which is required for watching On Demand movies. We have digital cable, of course, but we went with a cable card in our TivoHD (Tivo rocks, more so with its 1TB drive!) rather than a cable box/DVR combination from Comcast.
Sadly, Comcast knew both of these things - they know we pay our bill electronically and they know we have CableCards (we get billed for these each month). Perhaps future promotions could be just a teeny weeny bit more targeted? You know, check to see if something actually applies to me before sending it to me maybe?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger ComcastCares1 said...

I apologize for the mistake. I will notify the appropriate department about this.
Will you let me know the phone number on the account? This info will help us find out why this happened to you.

Thanks!

Mark Casem
Comcast Corp.
National Customer Operations
We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home